Now that it’s officially summertime in Wichita, KS, we can’t wait to slather on some sunscreen, go swimming, and soak up the sun at Smiles Orthodontics! The hot weather may be a bummer, but it’s the perfect excuse for enjoying a chilly treat. We all love a cold treat on a hot day, but it’s especially important for braces patients to be conscious of what they’re eating. It can be easy to lose track of what you can and cannot eat with braces, so here’s a list of our favorite braces-friendly summer treats and where to get them in Wichita!
This one’s a no-brainer! Or should we say no-brain-freezer? Summer isn’t complete without ice cream. Nowadays, we have ice cream options than ever before; you can choose from hundreds of flavors of ice cream, gelato, shaved ice, and more!
For our braces patients, soft serve in a cup is your best bet, but we totally understand if you want more decadent options. If that’s the case, you can still have other ice creams as long as you are avoiding the flavors and toppings with chunks of food, such as toffee, chocolate chips, nuts, candy, dried fruit, gummies, and caramel. These can easily get stuck in your brackets or even damage them. Ice cream cones can even be too crunchy for braces. Here are our favorite spots:
- Churn & Burn (548 S Oliver St, Wichita, KS 67218): Calling all coffee lovers, this is the spot for you! Churn and burn uses liquid nitrogen to combine ice cream with coffee for extra creamy, cold, and delicious desserts! Our favorite braces-friendly flavors are Tiramisu and White Chocolate Delight. They also have non coffee-inspired flavors, such as cinnamon and fresh mint.
- College Hill Creamery (3700 E Douglas, Ste 30, Wichita, KS 67208): Like Churn and Burn, College Hill Creamery offers lots of caffeine concoctions alongside their ice cream selection. You can enjoy all types of nitro floats, nitro shakes, and affogatos here. They also have quixotic seasonal flavors like Spicy Chocolate and Spicy Orange!
- Marble Slab Creamery (2000 N Rock Rd, Ste 108, Wichita, KS 67206): For a classic, gourmet ice cream experience, stop by Marble Slab Creamery. They’ve got all the basics covered and then some. Though they have a wide selection of mix ins, we don’t recommend adding any more texture to the creamy treat than necessary. Adults will love their pina colada, amaretto, and chocolate rum ice cream flavors. They also have frozen yogurt and sorbet!
Smoothies & Juices
For something a little more refreshing, we recommend fruit smoothies! Because they are blended and can be drinken through a straw, they won’t affect your braces. Just beware of crunchy chia seeds that could be lurking in your drink. Resist the temptation to gnaw on them!
- Paleteria Tropicana (2021 N Amidon Ave, Ste 115, Wichita, KS 67203): Didn’t have a chance to book your vacation this summer? No worries! One bite of ice cream at Paleteria Tropicana is basically the same thing! Well, not exactly, but this dessert bar has delicious juices, shakes, agua frescas, ice creams, and fruit cocktails that will make you feel like you’re in paradise. We love the horchata, mangonada, and dulce de leche fruit cocktail.
- 86 Cold Bar (600 E Douglas, Wichita, KS 67202): Jump on the juice trend with 86 Cold Bar! This modern establishment offers organic, artisan juices, teas, and probiotic drinks that are sure to quench your thirst on a hot day. Best of all, they’re all braces friendly! Perfect for days after you get your wires tightened and need nourishment sans chewing.
- Smoothie King (3236 N Rock Rd, Ste 200, Wichita, KS 67226): The name speaks for itself. Smoothie King is the go-to spot for fresh, quality smoothies. You can also customize your drink to exactly what you want.
Acai Bowls & Sherbet
To be fair, acai bowls and sherbet are great anytime. Everyone knows about the antioxidant benefits of acai and what better way to enjoy one than poolside on a hot summer day? If you have braces, however, there are a few adjustments you may need to make to your frozen treats. It’s a good idea to lay off any crunchy seeds, nuts, dried coconut, or granola that you might normally use as toppings. Deeply pigmented fruits can also stain your brackets and elastics pretty fast, so make sure you have a glass of water or toothbrush on standby to brush away the juices.
- Songbird Juice Co (1142 N Bitting Ave, Wichita, KS 67203): Acai bowls haven’t quite caught in Wichita just yet, but that just leaves an opportunity for you to set a trend. Songbird Juice Co is one of the few shops that serves acai bowls in the city. While they specialize in juices and kombucha, they also whip up a mean acai bowl.
- Braum’s (440 N Tyler Rd, Wichita, KS 67212): You can always rely on Braum’s to give you just what you need. The franchise offers an incredible variety of sherbet and sherbet drinks. If you’re feeling adventurous, try the Sicilian Orange or Cherry Limeade. Of course, they’ve also got the classics, like peach and rainbow.
No matter what frosty indulgence you choose, remember to brush your teeth thoroughly afterward! Sugar is the worst ingredient for braces and teeth because it’s what the bacteria in your mouth uses to create cavities. After all, ie cream is no good if you’re in pain while eating it!
Smiles Orthodontics is open all summer for patients. Give us a call if you have a question or need to book an appointment. We’re happy to help!